Sunday 9 September 2012

"Salt"




5thEntry: “Salt”

Hello everyone, this entry is about me as Salt.

            It was the last harvest of my father in Mbanta after seven years of the exile. Before we return to Umuofia, he wanted to have a great feast to thank his mother kinsmen for all the help. I guess my father is really kind and generous to the people who treated him nicely.

Ekwefi provided cassava for the feast because she was the only one who still had the cassava from the previous year while my father’s other wives had provided other food. On the following day, Ekwefi, Obiageli and I went to Ekwefi farm to harvest cassava tubers.

            Fortunately, a light rain had fallen during the night time and the soil would not be very hard. Ekwefi said that it would not take us long to harvest because the soil is not very hard. However, I told Ekwefi that the leaves would be wet because of the rain and I really dislike cold water dropping on my back. If I put the wet leaves into my basket that was balanced on my head, I’m sure the water would drop on my back.

            I hope that Ekwefi would listen to me so we would harvest the leaves after the sun rises and dry the leaves. But, she still wanted to harvest. I, who dislike the cold water was then called ‘Salt’ by Obiageli because she thinks that I’m afraid that I would be dissolved if the water drop on my back. I did not mad at her for calling me with such name because she was just trying to show me what things that similar with me. For me, it’s funny because I never expect that Obiageli would call me that.

No comments:

Post a Comment