Sunday 9 September 2012

If I Were A Boy



7thEntry: If I Were A Boy

            I still remembered when I was ten years old my father wished that I were a boy. It was when my father killed Ikemefuna. I did not mind if he thought of me like that because I know he wanted his children to be as same as him. From that moment, I always do man’s chores such as bring my father’s goatskin bag like what both of my brothers would always do.

            After seven years being exiled, there were many changes happened including my own brother, Nwoye. He did not belong to our clan anymore. Nwoye, who was supposed to be a man like our father, has disappointed our father by changing his belief. So, instead of Nwoye, my father put his hope on me to help him to gain back his power in the clan after being exiled.

There were many young men and wealthy middle-aged men of Mbanta came to marry me but my father said to me that he would be happy if I marry in Umuofia when we return home. I knew right away that my father still wished that I were a boy because I could bear no other person but my father. So, I agreed with my father’s decision because I understand his wishes. That is also a way for me to show my love towards my father.

            Since my father knew that I understand him well, he asked me to explain to my half-sister, Obiageli about the marriage. I influence my half-sister about the marriage and she also agreed on it. This was an accomplishment for me and also shows that I obey my father.

No comments:

Post a Comment